SUSAN M HALL
Travel Journalist | @susanmhallphoto
Scranton, PA, USA
Susan M Hall is a U.S.-based travel journalist specializing in U.S. & International reporting. She earned a BFA in photography from Arizona State University & a Paralegal AA from De Anza College.
In 2005, she traveled with the Global Exchange delegation “Women Making Change” to Afghanistan for an Independent Study Project in photography. She returned to Afghanistan in 2007, as a volunteer for the NGO Afghans4Tomorrow teaching English and photographing in the A4T girl’s schools.
Hall continues to photograph stories about global social issues most recently in Beirut, Lebanon.
Hall’s work has appeared in Street Spirit, a publication of the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC), JPG Magazine, World Pulse: Global Issues Through the Eyes of Women, “Investigating Women-Only Spaces” and Land of the Unconquerable The Lives of Contemporary Afghan Women.
Leica M6 Film Camera
Fujifilm X-Pro 2 Mirrorless Digital Camera
Plustek OpticFilm 8200i SE Film Scanner
Kodak Portra 400 Film
• “Bombshells not Bombs”, Honorable Mention, Photographers Forum Magazine, 2003: Print.
• “Homeless Residents of New Orleans Still Wait for Help.” Street Spirit 2008: Print.
• “Favorite Hangouts.” JPGMag Aug. 2008: 26. Print.
• “Investigating Women Only Spaces” World Pulse 2011: Print.
• Heath, Jennifer, and Ashraf Zahedi. Land of the Unconquerable: The Lives of Contemporary Afghan Women. Berkeley, CA: U of California, 2011. Print.
• Grand Prize Winner 2013 Global Exchange Reality Tours Photo Contest.
• Phoenicia Hotel Beirut Photo Art Competition, November 2018.
Workshops & Education
• BFA Photography, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, 2005
• NPPA Women In Visual Journalism Conference, Phoenix, AZ, 2005
• VII Photo West Coast Seminar, West Hollywood, CA, 2007
• Mardi Gras 360, New Orleans, LA, 2008
• VII Evolution Tour, New York, NY, 2014
• Foundry Photojournalism Workshop, Antigua, Guatemala, 2014